Friday, April 22, 2011

We're Goin' To The Chapel...And We Got Married!

This wasn't supposed to be all over Facebook. This also wasn't supposed to be a big deal, but it's funny how life's little moments (or life's big moments) eat away at you until you just have to share. And besides, the cat's out of the bag anyway.

In a small, intimate little ceremony, Stian and I tied the knot last weekend. Yep, we had a civil ceremony. I posted awhile back about how I didn't really want to do it, but MAN! I'm glad it happened and I'm glad that all the legal stuff will be done soon. Trying to decide how I want to share the details is proving rather difficult.

Where do I start?

It was a beautiful day, and for Stian - a Norwegian in Southern California at the beginning of spring on a perfect day of 70 degrees - he was one happy guy (although admittedly, I think he would have preferred to be at the beach soaking up the sun, but hey - he married his LOVE that day, so who cares about the beach, right?!).

We kept it semi-casual. I wore a short ivory dress, accompanied by gold sparkly heels, a brown headband, and carried a hot pink bouquet. He wore jeans, a brown sweater, and brown shoes. Perfectly semi-casual, and perfect for the occasion because really, this was just paperwork. With family. And a photographer. And a slice of cake with a glass of champagne. But that's it.

It was sweet and it was lovely, and we're both still SO very excited for when all of our family and friends can join us in July. We consider that  to be our "real" wedding. I still get butterflies in my stomach thinking about it - my dress, his bunad, our family and friends that will have traveled so far! Ahh. I can't wait.

While I anticipate how great it will be, I also need to take some time to appreciate the fact that we're pretty lucky people. Not many couples can say that they get two weddings - one small and intimate, and one grand and fun.

I guess there's not much left to say. But - there are PICTURES. I've been dying to post these, but in an effort to not make our "paperwork day" incredibly public, we've kept them to ourselves (although, I think there are mystery pictures floating around on the internet and I can't seem to locate their whereabouts)....until today.

Sometimes, you just have to celebrate and share the joy with your friends - even if it is only a post on a humble little blog.






























And now for a few pictures from the park...











All photos credit Sheila Arkee. We are consistently impressed and thankful to have such an amazing photographer in our lives to document some of our most treasured moments. Can we pack you up and take you to Norway, too?

Visit her website at arkeeologyphoto.com. Thanks again, Sheila!

4 comments:

  1. This is so cute Alyssa! And it was smart of you to do the civil ceremony first :) It turned out lovely and you get two weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! I think it sounds so perfect and I'm so happy for yall! Congrats congrats congrats :-) I am sure you're relieved the paperwork can officially begin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! I'm so glad it was a day you will look back on and cherish!

    ReplyDelete